Monday 10 February 2014

[Build Backlinks Online] How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Nofollow

Build Backlinks Online has posted a new item, 'How I Learned to Stop Worrying
and Love the Nofollow'

Posted by Rob.Toledo
"Nofollowdation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous marketing plot
we have ever had to face."
â General Jack D. Ripper, Dr. Strangelove (slightly modified)


This was me a few years ago:


Get a link to my site


Highlight link to my website


Right click > view selection source


"DANGIT!!! Nofollowed!!!"




My dreams completely shattered; how would I ever explain this to my boss? That
initial excitement and celebration had now faded, as I sulked deeper and deeper
into my chair, disgruntled, believing that all my work had amounted to nothing.


To try and prevent such a travesty from every happening again, I went on a
crusade. Before outreaching to a site owner or editor, I would double and triple
check their sites to make sure external links weren't nofollowed, and if they
were, I would cast the site off, never to be considered again.


But over time I noticed how thinking in such a way created a really
interesting and perverse incentiveâ


How many times have you searched "write for us" [insert blog niche] knowing
that it greatly increases the odds that you will get a dofollow link? I'm not
saying there's anything inherently wrong with that; plenty of great contacts to
be made by doing so. But if you check the "writer guidelines" page for sites
that actively are looking for guest authors, you'll likely notice a common
theme: "We allow one dofollow link in the author bio."


In this day and age, this should now be setting off an outreach siren (or at
least putting up a yield sign). It's certainly time to be critically analyzing
where we are getting links to our sites and making proper assessments as to
whether or not the value exists.


When I was first starting out, I would salivate over the possibility of any
link I could get my hands on, thinking "Wow, the opportunity for a real
published DOFOLLOW link, now that's what I'm talking about! Surely my rankings
will rule supreme!"




But I learned quickly this was a ridiculous way to think about what we're
trying to actually accomplish as online marketers, and I would really encourage
folks to start thinking differently about their true objectives.

So what to do?

Eliminating a site from a prospect list just because it nofollows links is
focusing far too much on the minimal value one link provides. I would argue that
in any online marketing campaign, nofollows not only have a place but should be
sought after as part of the overall strategy.


To be clear, I'm not talking about trying to maintain some healthy ratio of
link types in a site's profile; I'm talking about actively pursuing nofollows
with the intention of gaining the benefits they bring almost entirely unrelated
to organic search.

Some examples:

In the first image below, you will see the referral data (or lack thereof)
from a placement where the website I wrote for allowed me to link to my website
in the author bio section.




You're reading that correctly, in case you're wondering. An article on a
decent site sent exactly zero referral traffic to my blog. This isn't uncommon.


I know what you might be thinking. "But Rob, surely the link in and of itself
still has value! And isn't that what a good outreacher should be targeting in
the first place? The almighty link!"


I agree that links will likely always have their place, but I have started
thinking a lot about why search engines value links, and it changed the way I
target placements. The reason a link has value is because it is used to cite a
source or refer readers to external resources and information. If the readers of
a site aren't actually ever clicking this link, then why should search engines
give it any value?


I'm not saying we're there yet, but wouldn't doubt it's only a matter of time.


Here's another example, where we gave a blogger a product to review, the links
in the article were appropriately nofollowed to adhere to search engine
guidelines:




The links in the article sent some fantastic traffic that hung around on the
site, visiting multiple pages as well as talking about the product in the
comments of the article and on social. In the top-right corner you can see that
the blogger ran a giveaway for the product as well, resulting in increased
engagement on all of the website's social channels, creating buzz for the
product.


In the long term, who would you rather work with? The first example or the
second?


These are not unique examples. I have noticed an upward trend where nofollow
links can often times present the absolute best and immediate return when proper
site metrics are measured.

So what's the takeaway here?

This is going to sound a little funny, so hear me out. You can be a bit
reckless with nofollow. Here's why:


You don't have to worry about breaking search engine guidelines, and countless
bloggers are happy to take your money or products to promote your brand or
service to their audiences (ones that might otherwise have little interest in
working with you).


In other words? You can become an advertiser overnight!


To be clear though, I'm not recommending you just go after promoted content
type posts; those tend to have little value. Focus on how you can use your
contact's influence and audience in a more engaging way, and respectfully "pay
to play." The creative possibilites are often endless.


The lines between digital advertising and marketing are continuing to blur,
and incorporating a "nofollow strategy" into your marketing efforts can easily
prove fruitful when proper analysis is applied. Treating bloggers more like
business owners is a far more respectful way to work with their audiences to
build brand awareness. And if this two-way partnership continues to grow, there
is certainly an opportunity to create an influential brand ambassador, one of
the most powerful things we can hope for.
Sign up for The Moz Top 10, a semimonthly mailer updating you on the top ten
hottest pieces of SEO news, tips, and rad links uncovered by the Moz team. Think
of it as your exclusive digest of stuff you don't have time to hunt down but
want to read!



You may view the latest post at
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/seomoz/~3/3-hjOacyjIg/how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-the-nofollow

You received this e-mail because you asked to be notified when new updates are
posted.
Best regards,
Build Backlinks Online
peter.clarke@designed-for-success.com

No comments:

Post a Comment