Wednesday 17 April 2013

[Build Backlinks Online] #RCS, YouTube, and Being Helpful: An Interview with Wil Reynolds

Build Backlinks Online has posted a new item, '#RCS, YouTube, and Being Helpful:
An Interview with Wil Reynolds'


Posted by Erica McGillivray

Anyone who's seen Wil Reynolds from SEER Interactive give a presentation
remembers him. The first time I saw him speak, at SearchFest in 2012, I found
myself not just nodding along with what he was saying while checking Twitter --
but actually listening. I was actually thinking about what I was doing as an
inbound marketer and how I could make it better.

So when I sat down to interview Wil, I wanted to know more about his
inspirations and his belief in the power of YouTube. And of course, Real Company
Shit Stuff (#RCS).



Wil at MozCon 2012. Photo by Rudy Lopez Photography.

What's inspired you lately?

I was most inspired by Lani Lazzari, the 18-year-old who went on the TV show
Shark Tank and just killed it. (Fast forward to 22 mins to see her.) It was
inspiring to think at that age she had the confidence, poise, ownership of the
stage in a way that most people never gain in their entire professional lives.
Younger people who do this tend to inspire me.

I dont throw around the word 'inspiration' often; it's something I dont say
lightly.

I have also recently been reflecting on great client service, and I have been
thinking a lot about how to create experiences for our clients that are above
and beyond expectations. What got me inspired by that? A recent stay at a 5-star
hotel. The attention to detail and the care about me enjoying myself were more
than Ive experienced anywhere.

When you first started pondering #RCS, what kind of hope did you have for the
widespread adoption you've seen?

I had no hope. (It's why I didnt register the domain or anything!) I just
started thinking, 'Is my job going to be having a less crappy list of link
networks? Do I get excited about sending emails as a female persona because the
open rate is higher? NO way!'

My hope for #RCS is the same it's been for every other presentation Ive ever
given. Give people one to two things that will stick with them WELL PAST the day
or two after the conference. I want to find the simple things people can do or
the mind shift we need to make to make real changes and real successes.

Watch Wil's talk from last year's MozCon on #RCS.





As you've implemented #RCS for SEER and your clients, what's a favorite 'ah ha'
moment you've had or seen?

The client response. It's amazing how every so often a lead comes in saying,
'We are looking to do #RCS.' That is always kind of exciting as it means the
client and SEER are aligned on what success looks like.

Getting two clients on TV, from an SEO company idea, is hands down one of my
proudest moments. Im glad to have clients who believe and a team who believes
that an SEO company is just as able to develop quality marketing ideas as a
marketing agency.

I also realize that #RCS should have never had to have been said... If I was at
a marketing, branding, or PR conference, it would have been a dud. As that is
what they have been practicing all along.

What's #RCS' biggest nemesis?

Google.

If #RCS doesnt drive rankings, then many SEOs will continue to seek to find
shortcuts. If the rewards for their hard work of convincing a client; building
quality assets; and promoting it to real news outlets, publications, and
bloggers will not get ranking love, that is a major smack in the face.

You also advocate for marketers to help each other to build their careers. What
are some of your favorite channels to help others on?

YouTube. Google+ Hangouts. It's funny; right now, there is a massive debate on
women at conferences. But, I have yet to see someone say, 'Hey, Ill be on
Google+ doing a hangout to help any of these guys (or gals) get better.' I
absolutely love the power of YouTube to help others, even in my sleep. :)

As a company founder, I see a large part of my job being to understand what my
team is seeking in their careers. And as long as they are kicking butt for
clients, how can I invest my time and network to help them get on that path or
get that exposure. I think that is the start.

While we're on the topic of giving back, you've spent some time lately
unplugged and in Nicaragua to work for your wife Nora's nonprofit. Tell us a bit
about it.

My wife Nora co-founded an organization, Water for Waslala, to help people in
very rural Nicaragua get access to clean drinking water. It's funny how, in
parts of Waslala, I can get a cell phone signal, but I cant get clean drinking
water. That was eye opening as it was a reminder that there is no money in clean
water, and as such, it's not as big of a priority, sadly.

I have been twice, and the trip usually results in several bruises since it is
like eight hours travel in the back of a truck. After being there though, it's
always all worth it.

I am most concerned with what [my unplugging and traveling to Waslala] says to
Nora; I want her to know that me being off the grid never happens, but I place
supporting her efforts as highly as she prioritizes supporting mine. I guess it
is what makes us work.

Awww. Thanks, Wil, for ending this interview on an awesome note.

For more thoughts on #RCS, Wil will be speaking again at this year's MozCon,
July 8th-10th. He'll be giving everyone an update on how #RCS been going and his
tips for implementing it in your business. You can also follow Wil
at@wilreynolds.
Sign up for The Moz Top 10, a semimonthly mailer updating you on the top ten
hottest pieces of SEO news, tips, and rad links uncovered by the Moz team. Think
of it as your exclusive digest of stuff you don't have time to hunt down but
want to read!






You may view the latest post at
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/seomoz/~3/oS6Tl6q3Sqg/an-interview-with-wil-reynolds

You received this e-mail because you asked to be notified when new updates are
posted.
Best regards,
Build Backlinks Online
peter.clarke@designed-for-success.com

No comments:

Post a Comment