Thursday 4 July 2013

[Build Backlinks Online] An Evergreen Content Case Study

Build Backlinks Online has posted a new item, 'An Evergreen Content Case Study'


Posted by ChristopherFielden
This post was originally in YouMoz, and was promoted to the main blog because it
provides great value and interest to our community. The author's views are
entirely his or her own and may not reflect the views of Moz, Inc.

Creating timeless content is something all SEOs should aspire to do. Why? When
placed in front of the right audience, amazing content is highly likely to
generate ongoing interest, engagement, links, and traffic, leading to increased
sales/conversions and brand awareness. These results tend to make all but the
most difficult client quite happy.




Image by Dominic Alves


In 2012, I decided to undertake an evergreen content experiment. I created a
piece of content that I planned to update regularly over an extended period of
time. I was in this for the long haul â I wanted to keep working on this
content for at least a year. The aim was to see if putting ongoing effort into
one page on a website would prove more efficient than spending time planning and
creating multiple pieces of fresh content.

Common content performance patterns

Many creative content campaigns produce spikes of interest when they're
released and then dwindle in popularity. If you're nodding your head in
agreement, this might look familiar:




Creative campaign referral traffic spike, taken from Google Analytics


When shared, you see a brief spike in traffic, and then visits decline. This
example is taken from the release of a well-received infographic that saw a lot
of visits when it was shared on Reddit.


A spike isn't always a bad thing. At the last count, this example generated
over 35 decent quality links (ranging from DA 30 to DA 82) and thousands of
social shares. This is a good result, but I wanted to try and create something
that saw continued growth in traffic, engagement, and links over time rather
than a spike.

Evergreen experiment

So I could share the results openly without contravening any client
confidentiality agreements, I decided to conduct the test on my personal
website. I write fiction, and I originally created my website to showcase my
short stories. I launched the site in October 2011.




Image by Rose Craft


I'm not famous. No one knows who I am. No one found my writing, because no one
was searching for it. Aside from friends and family, few people read my stories.
Boo hoo.


In an attempt to gain an audience, I decided to try and make my website useful
to the short story-writing community (people who write short stories also like
to read them). I'd spent a LOT of time researching short story competitions to
enter. I'd found a few decent resources, like Booktrust, that listed some
writing competitions, but none of the lists or calendars were exhaustive or kept
very up to date, and many of them didn't list the full range of details I was
interested in (closing dates, prize money, word count limits, genres, publishing
opportunities etc).


So I decided to create an extensive short story competition list on my
website.

Research

I was fairly certain, given the amount of competition lists in print magazines
and the amount of writing websites I'd found, that there would be an audience
for this type of content. To be certain, I did some keyword research.




There was an audience. Further research showed there was a large amount of
long-tail keyword opportunities.


So I created the page, initially listing details of approximately 50 writing
contents. The list went live during April 2012.

Page content

The page format is fairly simple. I started out with two tables, one listing
regular writing competitions (monthly, quarterly, triannual and biannual) and
another listing annual contests. Over time, I've added more tables so the
resource is as easy to use as possible.


At the top of the page I openly invite users to contact me to have writing
competitions listed. I also invite users to let me know if any of my details are
incorrect, out of date, or if they find any broken links.

Use of outbound links

Again, to make the resource easy for writers to use, I've linked to all the
competitions I've listed. I've read all sorts of discussions regarding outbound
links and whether it's best for them to be follow or no-follow, as well as
discussions about how many links you should have on a page alongside concerns
about the quality of the sites you link to and whether that has any impact on
SEO.


As there doesn't seem to be a definitive right or wrong way to do this, I
decided to ignore all these concerns and just link to the most useful page on
the different competition websites for the user. The only exception is when I
link to a competition website that updates its URLs each time it updates the
competition details. In this instance I link to the homepage to avoid excessive
administration and maintenance of the page.


All links are followed.

Page maintenance



Image by Abhisek Sarda


From the day the page went live, I decided that I was going to display the
date the content was last updated prominently at the top of the page. I wanted
users and search engines to be able to see that the page was cared for and
updated regularly.


I've read many arguments against using dates. This is usually because time
constraints mean webmasters can't update content regularly and the date often
has the opposite effect, showing how out of date the content has become. But as
I knew I'd be updating the page regularly, this wasn't a concern.


I update the page at least twice a month, sometimes as frequently as twice a
week, depending on how much time I have available.


On average, one competition contacts me a week, asking to be added to the
list.


I respond to the vast majority of comments, either privately via email or as a
comment, depending on what seems most appropriate given the subject matter.

Technical notes

My website is pretty basic. From a technical standpoint, I have ensured that
the menu structures and URLs made sense and that my authorship has been setup
correctly. Aside from that, all I've done is generate content. I've purposely
kept the amount of pages on the site low, only adding new pages when I have to.
At the time of writing, the site has 36 pages.

No linkbuilding

While undertaking this experiment I haven't done any active link building at
all. Any links the website has gained have been natural. Likewise, I haven't
undertaken any outreach. I have only engaged with writers and competition
administrators that have approached me directly.


I did this to see how well the page could perform naturally, with internet
users initially finding the content via organic search. Over time, this has led
to natural interaction through comments, social sharing and links (and the
unavoidable plethora of spam comments in my inbox). But I haven't actively
pushed the content. The results have come from natural content discovery and
users outreaching to me.

Results
Traffic

This first graph shows the growth in traffic to the entire site from all
mediums since launch in October 2011:




Traffic from all mediums to entire site from October 2011 to May 2013


Below is a breakdown of the figures from the different mediums:




The second graph shows the visits from all mediums to the short story
competition page from its launch in 2012:




Traffic from all mediums to short story competition page from April 2012 to
May 2013


Since its launch, the short story competition list has accounted for 67% of
all the visits landing on my website (total entries to all pages are 77,374
â page entries to the competition page are 51,861). Full details of growth
in visits to the page from all mediums can be seen below:




Visits have increased substantially since the competition list was launched.
The dip we can see in April and May seems to be due to seasonality. The page
still ranks well for a wide variety of long-tail phrases, and the New Year and
autumn are seasonal peaks in writing-relating searches â admittedly, this
is a generalisation, but as the site only launched in 2011 I don't have a great
deal of data to work with.


If patterns follow those of last year, I'd expect to see a rise in traffic in
September.

Amount of search terms

10,728 search phrases have been used to find the page through organic search.




Most popular search terms used to find the short story competition page


Given that â(not provided)' accounts for 30% of these searches, it's
safe to assume that the figure is actually substantially higher, so there is a
lot of long-tail search involved here.


The large word count of the page copy contributes to this. At the time of
writing this post, there were 11,632 words of copy on the page, of which user
comments account for 3,463. At the time of writing this post, there are 66
comments on the page, some of them replies from me.

Social shares

The total amount of social shares to date is 127:




Details generated using Shared Count


I find that writers will often share the page on Facebook and Twitter, as will
administrators of the competitions I list, if they run social profiles. Since
the beginning of 2013, I have seen the share counts rising more rapidly, which I
would expect given the large increases in traffic the page has seen when
compared to last year.

Links

You can see details of the links that have been attracted below:




Data taken from Majestic SEO




Results from Moz's Open Site Explorer


The volume of links isn't huge. But this project is aimed at slow growth, and
I haven't actively asked anyone for a link. I want links to be entirely natural,
only coming from those who think the content is worth linking to of their own
volition. The only exception I can think of is me writing about the experiment.


As the resource becomes more widely recognised, I would expect the amount of
links to increase accordingly. Recently, I have received my first university
(.ac.uk) link, and started to receive correspondence from university lecturers
who are involved with creative writing courses, asking about writing
opportunities for their students (which led to me adding the âWriting
Competitions for Young Writers & Children' table to the page). This bodes really
well for the future, as relevant university website links are likely to help the
site's performance greatly. And this kind of natural link building should make
my backlink profile Penguin-proof long into the future.


I guess the key point here is that it's taken almost a year of developing this
content to start gaining links of this quality. Now that a handful of lecturers
have found the site and started using it, it'll be very interesting to see how
the link results fare over the next twelve months.


Hmm, I feel another blog post coming on in the not so distant futureâ


There are a couple of other points to bear in mind:


I've done this work in my spare time, around work and other commitments. If you
had the time to focus fully on projects of this nature you could probably
generate these types of results far more quickly.
The links generated have been entirely natural as I haven't actively asked
anyone for a link.

Point 2 proves that detailed, focused content can work in its own right. You
don't have to outreach and link build to see some level of success.



Does this type of content help conversions?



Due to the growth in traffic to my website, I have increased my audience and
engagement with my site. I'm beginning to be recognised as a thought leader (and
a brand, I guess) in my niche area. Users have started to approach me with all
manner of queries. I also receive frequent requests to proofread other writers'
work. If I had more time, this is a paid service I could consider offering in
the future. So producing the content has revealed business areas I could expand
into.


Ultimately, all the extra traffic has led to a rise in the number of people
buying the book I sell through Amazon and Lulu. I now sell a few a week,
compared to one every couple of months.


So, in answer to the title above, âYes.' I am getting what I wanted
â a wider audience for my writing.

Amount of referrals other sites receive

Below you can see the amount of referral visits my page generates to other
websites:




Referral traffic received from my competition page between January 2013 and
May 2013


One of the writing competitions I list was kind enough to share this data with
me. They were first listed on my site in January 2013.


A breakdown of figures can be seen below:




The highly relevant traffic I can offer writing websites makes being listed
appealing to most competitions. From speaking with the administrators of the
competition in the example above, I know that the traffic also converts well
into competition entries, so they are very happy with the results related to me
listing them.


This means that when I receive enquiries I can be confident in the value my
list offers.

Summary

So far, this experiment has proved that investing time in creating content
that is updated regularly can bring excellent results. In 2013, the page
attracts between 6,000 and 9,000 visits a month, 22% of which return to the page
time and again.


All you need to emulate this is some vision and common sense:


Find something your target audience wants
Give it to them
Keep the content fresh with regular updates and improvements
Listen to user suggestions and make changes accordingly
Listen to user suggestions about other resources they might find useful, and
create them


That's a content strategy that is likely to keep me busy for the next few
months and generate excellent results.

Keep it simple

One of the more common mistakes I've seen SEOs make is developing content no
one is interested in. You might end up creating something sexy based on an
amazing concept, but will it actually gain you the result you or your client
wants to see? Sometimes the more mundane ideas, like generating a useful list,
can work far more effectively. It might not be sexy, it might not look awesome,
but it is useful and can appeal to a community.


Keep it simple.


I believe you can learn more from those three words than you'd like to
believe. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts in the comments.

Sign up for The Moz Top 10, a semimonthly mailer updating you on the top ten
hottest pieces of SEO news, tips, and rad links uncovered by the Moz team. Think
of it as your exclusive digest of stuff you don't have time to hunt down but
want to read!






You may view the latest post at
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/seomoz/~3/E6T0XiqCtVk/an-evergreen-content-case-study

You received this e-mail because you asked to be notified when new updates are
posted.
Best regards,
Build Backlinks Online
peter.clarke@designed-for-success.com

No comments:

Post a Comment