Friday 20 September 2013

[Build Backlinks Online] 3 Methods Fueled by Data and Tools to Earn More (and Better) Links - Whiteboard Friday

Build Backlinks Online has posted a new item, '3 Methods Fueled by Data and
Tools to Earn More (and Better) Links - Whiteboard Friday'


Posted by randfish

Most conversations about links today involve terms like "better links," or
"high-quality links." Those are the kinds we all hope to earn, but what exactly
defines a "better link?" How do we know whether a link qualifies, or is only
so-so?


In today's Whiteboard Friday, Rand clears up the confusion and offers a few
clear attributes of better links, walking us through three great ways to find
them.





Whiteboard Friday - 3 Data + Tools-Fueled Methods to Earn More & Better Links




PRO Tip: Learn more about reclaiming links at Moz Academy.


For reference, here's a still of this week's whiteboard!



Video Transcription



Howdy, Moz fans, and welcome to another edition of Whiteboard Friday. Today
I'm going to talk a little bit about some data and tools-fueled methodologies to
acquire more and better links and, in fact, some links that you may not have
been able to find in other ways. So I'll start by saying what does it mean to
have a better link? Well, I mean really three things.


(A) Editorially given. By that I mean not a link that you go buy. Not a link
that you go, sort of, acquire or leave on someone's site unbeknownst to them or
get listed in a directory. I mean an editorially given link in that the person
who is giving the link runs the website or at least the page where it's being
given from, and they intended to link to you and want to link to you and it's
out of no other desire other than to share your site or the content that you
have, the work that you are doing. They have a relationship with you, they like
you, they want to recommend you. Editorially given.


(B) From a high-quality, trusted, and trafficked, well-trafficked website,
something that actually might get you clicks in addition to providing link value
from a search ranking perspective.


And (C) you've actually got a half-decent shot of getting that link. If I'm
just showing you link methodologies that are going to show you, "Oh, yeah, it'd
be real nice to get a link on that Whitehouse.gov page," it's not going to
happen, man. Bad news, that's going to be a tough one.


But these three, if we aim for these three, in particular aim for a decent
shot at getting it, I think we get some good ones out of this.


So method number one, follower outreach, essentially, the practice of
outreach for links, reaching out to someone and saying, "Hey, we have this piece
of content you might like" or "We have this potential relationship we could
build" or "Hey, I notice that you do some things that are interesting and maybe
we could have some overlap here. Perhaps I could contribute in some way to
something that you're doing."


Cool, works a lot of the time. But it's very hit or miss. Except that the
odds go way higher, way in your favor if you actually have a relationship, a
pre-existing knowledge of one another and a mutual "like-and-respect" situation.
That's why outreach to followers, to people who actually already know you and
like you is way more effective.


So this is Followerwonk. You could use a tool of your choice. You might find
people on Plus or some of the other social metrics tools.


But Followerwonk, I can go right in here, and on the Sort Followers tab,
once I've logged in, I can sort my followers and say, "Show me a list of them."
Then I can export to CSV. The only trick, once I export to CSV, I'm looking for
people with high social authority who have websites that I might want to do
outreach to, and this is such a simple thing. If you want, you can get a little
fancier. You can do things like put data in here, add a column and use Richard
Baxter's Mozscape plug-in, so that you can filter by domain authority of the
website that's in their bio and only outreach to people who haven't already
linked to you.


But, generally speaking, I've found that even if somebody's linking to you
from one page, doing outreach to them, getting that second link, reaching out to
folks, especially when you've targeted some of these people, this is huge value.
I've seen outreach of this kind work tremendously well, especially because since
they already know you, this guy and some dude in marketing are like, "They're
all following me. They're following my account. That means they care about what
I have to say."


So if I outreach them and they say "Oh, yeah I checked out, I know something
about them too. I've got their bio. I know what site they represent. I know who
they are. I can interact with them on Twitter." This works wonderfully. This is
one of my favorite, favorite outreach methodologies. It starts with social.


Method two: Just-discovered competition. So many of you are probably already
aware, but in Open Site Explorer, there's this new tab called Just Discovered
Links, way over on the right. It's technically in beta, but it gets a lot of
great links. It surfaces a lot of great links that are pointing to your website
or to a competitor's website.


This is the key. What I want you to do is go plug in a competitor. Start
with just one, one of your competitor's websites. Go over to the Just Discovered
tab, and take a look at what people are writing about them and linking to them
right now. I try and go for direct competitors, the kind of competitors where it
seems like a surprise if an editorial, like a news publication or a blogger or
someone in the field, an industry thought leader writes about them, but doesn't
write about you. That's always like, "Oh, if you're going to mention one, you
should mention several."


This is where the key comes in, because you go here and you look at stuff
that was literally just published in the last few hours or couple of days, and
then you do the outreach right then. You could do it through commenting and just
saying something about yourself like, "Hey, I'm not going to link drop because I
don't want to be spammy, but if you haven't already checked out Moz, we're a
competitor to site XYZ, and we'd love to connect and follow up. Maybe you'd be
interested in writing a story about some of the stuff that we're doing. I'd
happy to fill you in. Reach out to me at Rand@Moz." Something like that.


Or you could go find their e-mail contact information if you don't want to
make it public in the comments and reach out in that way. The trick is because
these things have just been written, just been published, your outreach attempts
go way higher. And you can look at domain authority. You can sort in order of
domain authority. So you can sort of look at and say, "Oh, yeah, I don't want to
reach out to that guy, but yes, yes, yes." Ideal.


Methodology number three: "Why you no link? Why?" I'll show you what I'm
talking about.




So this is Fresh Web Explorer. You could use another service. You could use
Mention.net. By the way, I don't mean to say that Open Site Explorer is the only
way to do this. You could use Majestic or something like that for this same
thing, if you're not a Moz subscriber. But assuming you are, all three of these
are part of your subscription.


So Fresh Web Explorer, I can go in and search for, this is key. I know the
Fresh Web Explorer search query, it's sort of like the Yahoo! of old, where'd
you do like very sophisticated links types of searches. So make sure you're
familiar with all the modifiers. But this one, in particular, I love. It's Moz,
my brand name, minus RD:moz.com. There's a space in between here, but no space
otherwise.


The reason this works so well is because I'm essentially saying, "Show me
people who have mentioned my brand name, Moz, but are not linking to any page on
my site, and show me the ones that have just done that." Because this is Fresh
Web Explorer, so it's going to show me recent stuff. Then, if I want, I can
click on a specific day or those kinds of things. I can export the CSV over
here.


But, basically, I look at these and I go, "Huh. Interesting. So this is four
days old. They mentioned Moz, but they didn't link to us. Man, that's a good,
reasonable feed authority." You can get domain authority as well in the CSV.
"Man, I should reach out to them. That reporter, that blogger, that writer, that
person who owns that website, why did they talk about me and not link to my
site?"


It tends to be the case that this is just oversight. And if you just reach
out and are like, "Hey, I loved that you covered us, really appreciated it. By
the way, noticed you didn't link. Was that intentional? Could we get a link
back?" Boom. It's just super easy, high-quality link building right off the bat.


These three methodologies will all help you with those. And for those of you
who are doing link-building on a regular basis, I love this format. Whether you
use our tools or someone else's, it's a great way to go.


All right, everyone. Take care.




Video transcription by Speechpad.com

Sign up for The Moz Top 10, a semimonthly mailer updating you on the top ten
hottest pieces of SEO news, tips, and rad links uncovered by the Moz team. Think
of it as your exclusive digest of stuff you don't have time to hunt down but
want to read!






You may view the latest post at
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/seomoz/~3/HUfrhByj3J8/3-methods-fueled-by-data-and-tools-to-earn-more-and-better-links-whiteboard-friday

You received this e-mail because you asked to be notified when new updates are
posted.
Best regards,
Build Backlinks Online
peter.clarke@designed-for-success.com

No comments:

Post a Comment